Panzar’s given me the compliment of asking me to dispense some scratch building advice. You might be asking yourself why you should take advice from this person you don’t know, so I’ll start by telling a little about myself.
I first got involved in the Warhammer hobby when I was 10, and was rapidly drawn to orks. I loved the conversion potential they held, and back in 2nd ed there really was a lot of space for conversions with dozens of vehicles out there that had no kit. It was with much glee that I set about crafting conversions from plasticard, bits of this and that, and copious amounts of poly cement. At age 13 I was immensely proud to have my stompa displayed in the Warhammer World cabinets for several months; it’s a shoddy thing compared to the conversions you see around today, but kit-bashing on that scale was such a rarity back then that it always turned heads.
Over the years my skills became a bit more refined, culminating in the ability to scratch build complex vehicles.
I’ve been getting into sportier activities over the last couple of years, and in honesty I’d come to regard my hobby as officially dead. Starting to sell off the contents of my bits boxes, I came across one set of leftovers that I just couldn’t part with. They were the remainder from another conversion; cast-offs, waste, but I just couldn’t resist the allure of the potential they held. The project that generated these spares is my still unfinished Leviathan conversion, which required baneblade tracks to be extended to 1.5 times the normal length.
So what did this leave? It left the potential for a vehicle with some very stumpy tracks, which appealed to the converter in me immensely. This selection of cut off bits was enough to motivate me to tidy my messy, dusty modelling desk, get out my tools, and once again spend hours messing around with small bits of plastic.
My first hassle was getting the tracks together; I cut the sides for the track sections in such a way as to make it as easy as possible to make my leviathan, which left pieces that weren’t the easiest to put together. Gluing the outer sides together wasn’t too hard, although I’m a stickler for things lining up correctly so I used a small straight edge to make sure they were definitely lined up right.
All this leaves me with something very chunky! I decided to name it the bullfrog, after watching some Giant Bullfrogs fighting on BBC’s Life. I’m not really sure how the females tell the difference between each instance of two frogs barging into each other, but it seems a very orky way to establish superiority and my creation’s got the same kind of chunky shape to it.
I’ve plans for a deffrolla on the front and some sort of structure for the turret, but at the moment I’m not sure whether the crew area will be open or enclosed. I’m really looking forward to seeing how this evolves over the coming weeks. As I build this monstrosity I’ll be sharing on this blog my methods, techniques and tips for building, built up over more than a decade of model making.
All things considered, I’m pleased I stumbled across those bits.